Inverter battery is an important component in a power backup system. These batteries are designed in such a way that they offer a small quantity of current for a longer period of time at a continuous pace. This means that you will never be out of battery in case you will invest in an inverter battery for home. A battery also determines the performance and lifespan of an inverter.
Inverters and Batteries
An inverter is a device that is used to convert battery power, or, direct current, into alternating current, or AC of a higher voltage. So, it can also be said that most inverters are installed and used in connection with a battery bank. Deep cycle batteries are believed to be the heart of an off-grid inverter-powered electrical system. These batteries store power and use them when demanded. In the case of a stand-alone system, the energy that is stored in the batteries is used when the energy demand is more than the output generated by the energy sources. The battery bank voltages that are commonly used in a stand-alone system are 12V, 24V, 48V, and 120V. A 12V battery consists of six 2V cells. So, it can be said that 2V cells are assembled to form a complete battery. A very common way to draw electric power from a battery is direct current, as mentioned earlier.
Design of an Inverter Battery
The inverter battery for home consists of less number of plates which are thinner as compared to auto batteries. Here, the electrolyte volume is also higher which results in the chemical reaction taking more time to produce current this allows the inverter batteries to offer a consistent amount of current for extended periods.
Types of Batteries
There are three types of inverter batteries:
- Lead-Acid Batteries- These are the most common types of batteries. They are rechargeable and produce a large amount of current. Other than this, these batteries are light-weighted and economical as well. In case of a lead-acid battery, you need to follow a regular checkup routine and top the batteries regularly. These batteries might release harmful gases during charging and discharging so it is better to install these batteries at a well-ventilated place in your home. Lead acid batteries are commonly used in renewable energy systems. These days it is seen that lithium batteries are becoming more affordable and can have a much longer lifespan.
- Maintenance-free Batteries- These are kind of sealed lead-acid batteries that do not require regular topping and electrolyte level check. These batteries are quite safe but are a little costlier and have a short lifespan.
- Tubular Batteries- the most popular kind of batteries are tubular batteries. They have a complex design, need low maintenance, have great efficiency, and have a longer operational lifetime. Since tubular batteries offer so many advantages they are slightly expensive as well.
Battery Life and Installation
In case a battery bank capacity is large enough and your usage is low, a battery can serve you for good 10 long years. You can refer to the battery guide or get in touch with the battery manufacturers to get more detail on how long will the products last. The installers design and install the battery in such a way that they comply with the standards and maximize battery life. Since the batteries emit a corrosive and explosive mix of gases, they should be installed in a well-ventilated enclosure, which is preferably away from the house. Some tricks to install an inverter battery well are given below-
- Installing fans and electrical vents can allow the gas to rise and escape naturally through the ventilated space.
- As the size of the battery bank increases, the need for ventilation increases correspondingly.
- Mount batteries on stands to keep them clear of the ground.
- Batteries should not be installed directly onto the concrete.
- Batteries should be installed out of direct sunlight and away from excessive heat.
- Access to the battery room should be limited. Children should not be allowed near the battery room and proper safety signs should be put.
If you want your battery to perform well for a longer period of time, you should follow a proper battery maintenance routine. It includes keeping the terminals clean and tight so that the electrolyte is kept at about minimum levels. Only distilled water should be used to top the batteries.
Till now it is clear that the inverter battery for home is an important component in your power generation system. The inverter batteries are economical and rechargeable. They work with great efficiency and are a reliable source of power in case of a power shortage. They also help in faster charging and produce a large amount of current. Since power cuts are very common in most countries; it is wise to invest in the best inverter battery for your home.