Microsoft Word, also known as MS Word, is a word processor that was developed by Microsoft. The updated version keeps on coming in front. The old MS Word version was not able to open the most recent format of documents. Many users have complained about “Microsoft Word not responding” issues. This error is the one you are experiencing and you need to find solutions. This article will help you. This article will provide you with all the information about the problem and the solutions. For the full information on the MS Word error that is not responding, please continue reading.
Microsoft Word’s latest version is compatible with macOS and other Operating Systems. This article will help you if the MS Word application is not responding to your macOS. In a separate section, this article will explain how to fix the “Microsoft Word Not Responding” error on both Windows and Mac Operating Systems.
What could be causing the “Microsoft Word not Responding” issue?
These are the possible causes of the “Microsoft Word is not responding” issue, according to an expert’s report.
- MS Word Add-ins
- The Antivirus Software in Conflict
- Missing or Corrupt MS Word Files
- MS Word Application Outdated Version
- Inappropriate document name
Let’s now move on to the solution section. These methods can be used to fix the MS Word not responding error.
Here are some methods to fix the “Microsoft Word Not Responding” Glitch in Windows and macOS
You have now reached the solution section for the “MS Word not responding to” problem. You can now try the following methods, depending on the OS you use to run the MS Word application.
How to fix the “Microsoft Word Not Responding” Glitch in Windows Users
These methods will resolve the problem with MS Word not responding if you are a Windows user. These methods are simple and have been tested by many users to resolve the MS Word not responding problem. You can trust them.
Method 1: Disable>Remove Add-ins from MS Word
Add-ins provide additional features. This problem can be caused by unsupported third-party add-ins for Microsoft Word. This is a problem that can be solved by simply identifying the add-ins. microsoft word not responding Then, you will need to permanently remove the add-ins from your device. Follow the steps below.
How to disable add-ins in Microsoft Word
Below are the steps you need to take to disable all add-ins in MS Word
The Short Version:File>>> Uncheck> OK
- Launch the Microsoft Word app first.
- Click on the “File” tab in the upper left corner.
- Next, click on “Options”, which is located in the left-hand panel of File tab open window.
- Next, click on “Add-ins” from the left-hand pane of the Word Options window. This will open the MS Word add-ins list at the right-hand panel.
- You will then see the “Go” button at the bottom of your window next to Manage. Click on it to continue.
- To disable third-party add ins, uncheck their checkboxes.
- To save your changes, click the OK button.
- Close all open windows and restart your computer.
- Now, turn on the computer and launch MS Word to verify that the problem is solved.
- If the problem persists, you can identify the source add-ins using the MS Word add-ins list to permanently remove them from your computer. Follow the steps below to do this.
Identify and remove the Culprit-Add-in from the List
This will allow you to free up some space on your computer and enable the add-ins for MS Word.
The Short Version:File>>>> OK= To find the problem add-in
File>>> Select> Remove> OK= To delete add-ins
- Continue on to the Add-ins Manage Window by repeating steps 1 through 5.
- To save the changes, you will need to activate each checkbox for each of the add-ins. To verify the add-ins are enabled, restart MS Word.
- After identifying the problem add-ins in MS Word, you can permanently remove them from your device. This will free up some space.
- To open the add-ins manager window, follow the steps again from 1-5.
- Next, select the add-in that is causing the problem and click on the “Remove” link, located below the “Add …”” button. Click on OK to confirm.
You should be able to solve the problem by following these steps. If the problem persists, don’t worry. You can try the next method.
Method 2: Disable Antivirus Software
We all know that antivirus software’s primary function is to protect the computer from potential threats. Sometimes, however, the antivirus software can be the cause of problems such as not responding to Microsoft Word. If this happens, the best way to fix it is to disable antivirus software. If you are satisfied with the solution, you can remove the antivirus software.
Method 3: Repairing Microsoft Office
Another effective way to fix the “Microsoft Word is not responding” error is this. If you still have the same error after trying all of these methods, then please contact us. This is how to repair Microsoft Office.
The Short Version: Win+R> appwiz.cpl> OK/ Enter> Microsoft Office Suite> Change> Repair
Method 4: In Safe Mode, Launch MS Word
Many users claim that they were able to resolve the problem by activating Safe Mode for Microsoft Word. Safe Mode, a mode in Windows that cancels third-party applications and services, allows you to solve the problem if the third-party is responsible. Let’s now learn how to do it.
The Short Version: Win+S> Microsoft Word> Press CTRL & Click on Microsoft Word
To turn on MS Word in Safe Mode, all you have to do is to follow these steps. To verify that the problem is resolved, you can continue with your task by using Microsoft Word. If not, you will need to restart your computer in order to disable Safe Mode for Microsoft Word.
Method 5: Rename Word File
The users might find it strange that renaming Word files will resolve the problem. It is possible in fact. You might get the “Microsoft Word Not Responding” error if you download a file from email or exam portals. This trick may help you solve the problem.
The Short Version: Right-click the file>Rename>Set a name>Press the Enter Button
To verify that the issue is resolved, open the MS Word file.
These are all the solutions for Windows users to fix the “Microsoft Word Not Responding” error. It is better to look into the problem than dwell on it.